Time is ticking for users of Microsoft’s Windows Embedded Handheld operating systems.
If you’re still using one of the last supported versions, you only have a matter of weeks or months to migrate to a new OS before you no longer have access to Microsoft support, security patches, and updates.
Here are Microsoft’s end-of-life dates for the last supported versions of Windows Embedded Handheld:
Windows Embedded Handheld 8.1
- Microsoft support ends July 9, 2019 with no extended support available.
Windows Embedded Handheld 6.5
- Extended support ends January 13, 2020.
Windows Embedded Compact 7
- Extended support ends April 13, 2021.
If you’re running any other version of Windows Embedded Handheld, your Microsoft support options have already expired, and you may already be at risk.
Fortunately, new OS and technology developments now make it much faster and easier to migrate to a new, secure OS and improve your mobile operations in the process.
In particular, our team at HighJump has partnered with Zebra Technologies to provide an easy solution for quick and relatively painless OS migration. We’ve combined our HighJump™ Supply Chain Advantage inMotion application with Zebra’s Android enterprise touch computers and tablets, so you can migrate to a new, modern, and secure OS while you optimize your mobile workflows. Here’s how the two aspects of our solution work together:
On the hardware and OS side, Zebra’s touch mobile computers and tablets put the power of Android mobile computing at your workers’ fingertips. As Microsoft has largely exited the enterprise mobility market, Android has emerged as the top OS for device manufacturers and thousands of companies worldwide, largely due to these key factors:
- A more intuitive and easier-to-use interface that simplifies mobile workflows
- An open OS architecture that makes it easier to develop custom-tailored apps
- Powerful security with full control over ever device, app, and connection—thanks to Zebras’ Android Mobility Extensions (Mx)
Our HighJump Supply Chain Advantage inMotion application helps with the transition to Zebra’s touch-based Android mobile computing and barcode scanning devices. The application is scalable and equips any smartphone or tablet with the capabilities of a radio frequency (RF) scanner, plus a number of other crucial benefits:
- A clean, visually-appealing interface designed for touchscreen devices
- A seamless, intuitive user experience with the familiar look and feel of other touch apps
- Simpler workflows so workers can learn and perform faster
- Compatibility with both connected and integrated barcode scanners
- Integration with your warehouse management system (WMS) to direct workflows
- Display of product pictures and locations to ensure correct picking
- WMS browser to access process instructions, documents, or videos
- Ability to toggle to the HighJump Inspection app to capture QA data and images
(Please note in order to get the maximum benefit, you will need to upgrade to the latest version of inMotion.)
Ultimately, the combined HighJump and Zebra solution means you can meet or beat the OS migration deadlines or quickly upgrade your current devices if support has already expired for your current OS version.
To learn more about migrating to Android touch computing with HighJump Supply Chain Advantage inMotion and our recommended Zebra devices, contact us now for more information and a free consultation.