Distribution based WMS
- Single client - One inventory owner
- Single set of process flows and requirements
- Simple labeling
- Order Entry gets handed to the ERP solution. Order entry is integrated through the ERP solution
- Basic warehouse management system cannot accomodate different ERP version releases from different customers without extensive and costly custom fixes and workarounds
3PL Specific WMS
- Multiple Clients - multiple inventory owners
- Concurrent support for business processes of each inventory owner
- Complex labeling requirements
- Order Entry is self contained in the 3PL solution
- 3PL logistics software needs to accomodate different ERP version releases,distinguishing and accomodating the various versions automatically
Here are some questions to ask a potential WMS if you are looking for 3PL specific WMS Solution:
- How does your solution calculate and report deferred handling?
- How does your system manage transfer of ownership and title/internal transfers and transfers in storage?
- How does your system handle requests for shipping inventory for multiple end customers on one client order?